Om Puri apologises for controversial remarks
New Delhi: Facing a privilege motion in
Parliament over use of derogatory language against
politicians, actor Om Puri on Sunday night apologised for making these
remarks at Anna Hazare`s fast venue but denied he was drunk at
Puri said he regretted calling politicians `naalayak`
(incompetent) and `ganwar"( a word often used to describe a
backward and an illiterate person), saying the choice of the
words were inappropriate.
Puri said he should have used appropriate language for
his description of the political class.
The Bollywood star courted controversy when he launched
a no holds barred attack on politicians from the stage at
Ramlila Maidan on Friday.
He also denied that he had made the caustic comments in
an inebriated state , claiming they were said in the "heat of
the moment" on seeing Hazare`s condition on the 11th day of
his fast and the kind of political response to the Gandhian`s
agitation for a strong Lokpal Bill.
Rajya Sabha Member Ram Gopal Yadav (Samajwadi Party)
moved a privilege motion against Puri yesterday for attacking
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!