Omar agrees with Chouhan, says simultaneous polls possible
Bhopal: Jammu-Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah on Saturday agreed with his Madhya Pradesh counterpart
Shivraj Singh Chouhan on the suggestion of holding Lok Sabha
and assembly elections simultaneously.
"It is correct that due to frequent polls and enforcement
of model code of conduct, development gets affected. If there
is a consensus among the political parties on the issue, then
I don`t think anybody will have any problem with it," Abdullah
told reporters during a meet on Adventure Tourism here.
"It is a good thing, as earlier after the country got
Independence, elections for both Lok Sabha and state
Assemblies used to be held simultaneously, but that practice
did not last after some time due to various reasons," he said.
On the issue of compulsory voting in local body elections
introduced by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said,
"democracy means giving people a choice to exercise their
right to franchise."
"What will happen if the people don`t want to vote at
all for any candidate?" he asked.
"It can be done provided people have a right to exercise
the option of `none of the above` in the ballots to make it
more meaningful. Otherwise it will not have any meaning,"
When asked about Congress general scretary Rahul
Gandhi`s campaign for getting more youths in the party fold,
he said it was a good thing that Rahul was approaching the
youth. No other party is doing that way.
However, to a question on Rahul becoming prime
minister, he said in democracy anybody can become prime
minister but before that his party has to take a decision on
it and after that people of the country have to give their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you