Omar agrees with Chouhan, says simultaneous polls possible
Bhopal: Jammu-Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah on Saturday agreed with his Madhya Pradesh counterpart
Shivraj Singh Chouhan on the suggestion of holding Lok Sabha
and assembly elections simultaneously.
"It is correct that due to frequent polls and enforcement
of model code of conduct, development gets affected. If there
is a consensus among the political parties on the issue, then
I don`t think anybody will have any problem with it," Abdullah
told reporters during a meet on Adventure Tourism here.
"It is a good thing, as earlier after the country got
Independence, elections for both Lok Sabha and state
Assemblies used to be held simultaneously, but that practice
did not last after some time due to various reasons," he said.
On the issue of compulsory voting in local body elections
introduced by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said,
"democracy means giving people a choice to exercise their
right to franchise."
"What will happen if the people don`t want to vote at
all for any candidate?" he asked.
"It can be done provided people have a right to exercise
the option of `none of the above` in the ballots to make it
more meaningful. Otherwise it will not have any meaning,"
When asked about Congress general scretary Rahul
Gandhi`s campaign for getting more youths in the party fold,
he said it was a good thing that Rahul was approaching the
youth. No other party is doing that way.
However, to a question on Rahul becoming prime
minister, he said in democracy anybody can become prime
minister but before that his party has to take a decision on
it and after that people of the country have to give their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Ruias plan to sell another 25% stake in Essar Oil
- Microsoft CEO Nadella's debut book to come out in 2017
- Urvashi Rautela gives 'Resham Ka Rumaal' a sexy twist in 'Great Grand Masti' – Watch here
- Delhi Court frees Ex-DUSU President on a 2004 complaint by professor
- Daddy's girl! Bipasha Basu showers birthday wishes on papa dearest! – View pic