Omar asks for time bound NIA probe in arrest of Hizb militant
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday spoke to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and demanded that the case of arrest of an alleged Hizbul Mujahdeen terrorist by Delhi Police be transferred to NIA for a "time bound speedy probe".
The Chief Minister took up the matter with Shinde over phone as the latter was away in Maharashtra with President Pranab Mukherjee.
"I have spoken to him and asked for a speedy and time bound probe by the NIA to establish the facts in this case," Omar told PTI here.
A controversy broke over the arrest of Liyaqat Shah by Delhi Police which claimed that he was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist who had come to the national capital to plan a suicide attack.
However, the charges were contested by the Jammu and Kashmir Police saying that he was returning to the Valley for surrendering.
Even the family of Liyaqat at Lalpura, Kupwara in North Kashmir said that they had informed the authorities about his return, which was agreed upon.
Kashmiri youth who had crossed over to Pakistan-occupied -Kashmir (PoK) in 1990s have been returning to the Valley via Nepal.
The family members of Liyaqat claimed that he entered into India through Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh and he presented himself to border guarding force -- SSB. However, instead of handing him to state Police, Liyaqat was given to Delhi Police.
Jammu and Kashmir Police also said that Delhi Police had informed them about Liyaqat and claimed that he should be sent to the Valley as he was going to surrender, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Lodha panel report: CAB cancels AGM after SC's verdict
- Peter Thiel tells Republican convention he is ''proud to be gay''
- Know what Kapil Sharma’s team did the moment ‘bua’ Upasana Singh quit ‘Comedy Nights Live’
- Papua New Guinea leader survives no-confidence vote
- Jose Mourinho's appointment as Manchester United coach is a great move, he knows how to win titles: David Beckham