Omar asks for time bound NIA probe in arrest of Hizb militant
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday spoke to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and demanded that the case of arrest of an alleged Hizbul Mujahdeen terrorist by Delhi Police be transferred to NIA for a "time bound speedy probe".
The Chief Minister took up the matter with Shinde over phone as the latter was away in Maharashtra with President Pranab Mukherjee.
"I have spoken to him and asked for a speedy and time bound probe by the NIA to establish the facts in this case," Omar told PTI here.
A controversy broke over the arrest of Liyaqat Shah by Delhi Police which claimed that he was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist who had come to the national capital to plan a suicide attack.
However, the charges were contested by the Jammu and Kashmir Police saying that he was returning to the Valley for surrendering.
Even the family of Liyaqat at Lalpura, Kupwara in North Kashmir said that they had informed the authorities about his return, which was agreed upon.
Kashmiri youth who had crossed over to Pakistan-occupied -Kashmir (PoK) in 1990s have been returning to the Valley via Nepal.
The family members of Liyaqat claimed that he entered into India through Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh and he presented himself to border guarding force -- SSB. However, instead of handing him to state Police, Liyaqat was given to Delhi Police.
Jammu and Kashmir Police also said that Delhi Police had informed them about Liyaqat and claimed that he should be sent to the Valley as he was going to surrender, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!