OMC scam case: Centre nod to prosecute suspended IAS officer
Hyderabad: The CBI has got Centre`s nod for sanction to prosecute suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi, an accused in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) scam involving ex-Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The development paves the way for the court to take cognisance of relevant sections under Prevention of Corruption Act against Srilakshmi.
The agency today filed a memo before the Principal Special Court for CBI cases here on the sanction order of the Centre to prosecute Srilkashmi under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Earlier, the court took cognisance of the offences against the IAS officer under sections 120-b (punishment for criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant) of IPC, but could not under the Prevention of Corruption Act against the pendency of the sanction order.
"The sanction order has been filed before the court as an additional document. The court may now take cognisance of the sections under PC Act", CBI officials said.
A 1988 batch IAS officer, Srilakshmi was the commissioner of Health and Family Welfare when she was arrested on November 28 last by CBI for allegedly abusing her earlier official position as the secretary (Industries and Commerce) to favour OMC in allotment of mining leases in nexus with Reddy and others.
The agency in its supplementary charge-sheet filed in the OMC case on March 30 had named Srilakshmi as a co-conspirator.
It is mandatory for the investigating agency to seek prosecution sanction against the IAS officers from government for court to take cognisance of the charge-sheet.
Srilakshmi, who was granted interim bail in October last on health grounds, has recently sought extension of the interim bail which expires on March 20.
The state government had earlier given its sanction for prosecution for IAS officers Srilakshmi and B P Acharya in the Emmar case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters