OMC scam case: Centre nod to prosecute suspended IAS officer
Hyderabad: The CBI has got Centre`s nod for sanction to prosecute suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi, an accused in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) scam involving ex-Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The development paves the way for the court to take cognisance of relevant sections under Prevention of Corruption Act against Srilakshmi.
The agency today filed a memo before the Principal Special Court for CBI cases here on the sanction order of the Centre to prosecute Srilkashmi under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Earlier, the court took cognisance of the offences against the IAS officer under sections 120-b (punishment for criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant) of IPC, but could not under the Prevention of Corruption Act against the pendency of the sanction order.
"The sanction order has been filed before the court as an additional document. The court may now take cognisance of the sections under PC Act", CBI officials said.
A 1988 batch IAS officer, Srilakshmi was the commissioner of Health and Family Welfare when she was arrested on November 28 last by CBI for allegedly abusing her earlier official position as the secretary (Industries and Commerce) to favour OMC in allotment of mining leases in nexus with Reddy and others.
The agency in its supplementary charge-sheet filed in the OMC case on March 30 had named Srilakshmi as a co-conspirator.
It is mandatory for the investigating agency to seek prosecution sanction against the IAS officers from government for court to take cognisance of the charge-sheet.
Srilakshmi, who was granted interim bail in October last on health grounds, has recently sought extension of the interim bail which expires on March 20.
The state government had earlier given its sanction for prosecution for IAS officers Srilakshmi and B P Acharya in the Emmar case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...