On 26/11 eve, Navy Chief to visit Western Naval Command
Mumbai: Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma is to visit the Western Naval Command here on Tuesday for an extensive review of the operational preparedness and related issues, according to an announcement here Monday.
During the three-day visit, starting today Admiral Verma will also witness a naval exercise aboard the aircraft carrier, INS Viraat.
The visit comes on the eve of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks when the group of 10 terrorists sneaked into the city from the Arabian Sea.
The Western Naval Command, one of the two operational commands of the Indian Navy, with its headquarters in Mumbai, exercises control over ships, submarines, aircraft and shore establishments located on the west coast.
During his visit, the admiral will review the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command as well as the preparedness of coastal security apparatus.
He will also embark on the Western Fleet at sea for a day to assess its combat readiness, witness fleet exercises, gun and missile firings by ships and aircraft as also observe aircraft operations from INS Viraat, which has rejoined the fleet after an extensive maintenance over a period.
Ships and aircraft of the Western Naval Command have been regularly deployed for coastal security tasking in close coordination with other central and state agencies during the past year.
A joint operations centre has been set up at Mumbai to monitor and coordinate coastal security. Security exercises along with public awareness campaigns have tremendously improved understanding amongst central and state agencies as well as the residents of coastal areas, particularly the fishing community.
The integration of the newly raised Marine Police force with other security agencies has been encouraging. The admiral will also be reviewing the coastal security arrangements during his visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state