On 26/11 eve, Navy Chief to visit Western Naval Command
Mumbai: Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma is to visit the Western Naval Command here on Tuesday for an extensive review of the operational preparedness and related issues, according to an announcement here Monday.
During the three-day visit, starting today Admiral Verma will also witness a naval exercise aboard the aircraft carrier, INS Viraat.
The visit comes on the eve of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks when the group of 10 terrorists sneaked into the city from the Arabian Sea.
The Western Naval Command, one of the two operational commands of the Indian Navy, with its headquarters in Mumbai, exercises control over ships, submarines, aircraft and shore establishments located on the west coast.
During his visit, the admiral will review the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command as well as the preparedness of coastal security apparatus.
He will also embark on the Western Fleet at sea for a day to assess its combat readiness, witness fleet exercises, gun and missile firings by ships and aircraft as also observe aircraft operations from INS Viraat, which has rejoined the fleet after an extensive maintenance over a period.
Ships and aircraft of the Western Naval Command have been regularly deployed for coastal security tasking in close coordination with other central and state agencies during the past year.
A joint operations centre has been set up at Mumbai to monitor and coordinate coastal security. Security exercises along with public awareness campaigns have tremendously improved understanding amongst central and state agencies as well as the residents of coastal areas, particularly the fishing community.
The integration of the newly raised Marine Police force with other security agencies has been encouraging. The admiral will also be reviewing the coastal security arrangements during his visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!