On first birthday after anointment, Narendra Modi says people seeking change
Gandhinagar: BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Tuesday said there is a groundswell of "hatred and dislike" against the UPA government and common people are eagerly awaiting to exercise their mandate to vote the government out of power.
"The 2014 Lok Sabha elections; from the time I started knowing and understanding politics and elections, is the first time that the common man is eagerly awaiting polls," Modi said here.
He was addressing a function organised on his 64th birthday today to felicitate him for his elevation as the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate recently.
"This time the discussion has begun from the common people and they are hoping for polls to happen as soon as possible. The entire country is in a hurry for elections and waiting for this government to go soon".
Modi said, "For the first in India, I am seeing such a hatred and dislike for any elected government," he said without naming the government at the Centre.
"There is a desire for change in the country. People strongly believe that the present situation cannot just be allowed to prevail for long," the Gujarat Chief Minister said.
Modi said that the common people were awaiting elections the way they do for rains in a hot and humid month of June.
"Generally, discussions on elections start on television and in newspapers and people start discussing it only after candidates file their nomination papers. However, this time it is the other way round," he said.
Taking a dig at UPA government at Centre over missing coal files, Modi said, "It is said that coal scam files are missing, but I say the entire government in Delhi is missing".
"The new generation will start asking where`s Delhi on
the map?...Earlier there was a feeling that Delhi has a government that rules India, but nowadays it feels there`s no government there," Modi said.
"The atmosphere is such that the common man has been put in a disarray. The poorest of the poor are becoming impatient," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing