On possibility of further hike, Bansal says ‘wait for budget’
Chandigarh: Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on Sunday evaded a direct reply on the likelihood of further hike in train fares, saying everyone will have to wait till the budget is presented.
"I don’t know. I haven’t said anything so far," Bansal replied when asked whether more fare hike will be proposed in the upcoming railway budget.
"Whether there will be further hike or not, I have not said anything so far," he told reporters after inaugurating an exhibition of Khadi and Village Industries Commission here.
"Let the budget be presented, then you will come to know (about it)," the Chandigarh MP said responding to a question.
Commenting on media reports suggesting further hike in fares, he said "some things are being attributed to me. I had only said kindly wait for the railway budget."
"I am not indicating anything, kindly don’t draw any inferences. Whatever I will have to say from my side, I will present my views in the budget," Bansal said.
The recent hike in rail fares came into effect from January 22.
On how the Railways could help the Khadi industry, Bansal said "some things (related to the Khadi) are already there in coaches like blankets etc."
"We will discuss the matter in the Railway Board on what more can be done (in this regard)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter