On possibility of further hike, Bansal says ‘wait for budget’
Chandigarh: Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on Sunday evaded a direct reply on the likelihood of further hike in train fares, saying everyone will have to wait till the budget is presented.
"I don’t know. I haven’t said anything so far," Bansal replied when asked whether more fare hike will be proposed in the upcoming railway budget.
"Whether there will be further hike or not, I have not said anything so far," he told reporters after inaugurating an exhibition of Khadi and Village Industries Commission here.
"Let the budget be presented, then you will come to know (about it)," the Chandigarh MP said responding to a question.
Commenting on media reports suggesting further hike in fares, he said "some things are being attributed to me. I had only said kindly wait for the railway budget."
"I am not indicating anything, kindly don’t draw any inferences. Whatever I will have to say from my side, I will present my views in the budget," Bansal said.
The recent hike in rail fares came into effect from January 22.
On how the Railways could help the Khadi industry, Bansal said "some things (related to the Khadi) are already there in coaches like blankets etc."
"We will discuss the matter in the Railway Board on what more can be done (in this regard)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof