One Army jawan killed, another injured in J&K gunbattle
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed and
another critically injured in a brief gunbattle with militants
as the search operation by security forces continued in the
forests of the frontier district of Kupwara in north Kashmir
for the fourth day on Wednesday, official sources said.
A jawan was killed and another critically injured when
militants opened fire on a joint search party of the Army and
police at Khamri forest of Hafrada, 125 kms from here, in the
wee hours today, the sources said.
The search party fired back but the ultras fled the scene
after the brief gunbattle, taking advantage of the thick
forest and the darkness, they said, adding, a massive search
operation to track down the fleeing militants was going on
when last reports were received.
Meanwhile, body of one more militant was recovered from
the scene of yesterday`s gunbattle in nearby Sajipora forest
raising the death toll in the encounter to four.
Two militants and an Army jawan were killed in the
day-long gunbattle yesterday.
All the three militants have been identified as members
of Hizbul Mujahideen outfit namely Karim Katrai of Kupwara,
Nayeem Ahmad Bhat of Anantnag and Najeeb Rashid of Kulgam, the
sources said, adding the bodies of the deceased were handed
over to their next of kin for last rites this afternoon.
Two Pakistani militants were killed by security forces in
an encounter at Shah Nagri forest of Handwara on Saturday, the
day security forces launched a massive search operation
following information about presence of heavily-armed
militants of Hizbul Mujahideen and Lashker-e-Toiba outfits.
Earlier, six militants and two soldiers were killed in
nearby Rafiabad forest of Baramulla on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state