One more killed but Kashmir relatively peaceful
Srinagar: After five days of violence and
arson, Kashmir valley was today relatively peaceful barring
stray incidents and one episode of firing at a stone pelting
mob by security personnel here in the night in which one
person was killed.
On a day when Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and
hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani made a
passionate appeal for calm, Security forces kept a tight vigil
and strictly enforced curfew in all the 10 districts of the
valley. There were however reports of restrictions being
defied by protestors at a few places.
One person was killed after security personnel fired at
a stone-pelting mob at Nund Reshi colony in Bemina here in the
night, police said.
The mob was pelting stones and was turning violent and
repeated cane-charging and teargassing failed to defuse the
Security forces had to fire in which one person was
killed, police said. The victim was identified as Md Yakub.
"The situation in the Kashmir valley remained by and
large peaceful," a state government spokesman said.
With tonight`s killing in Bemina and one man identified
as Iqbal Ahmed Khan from Chanapora succumbing to bullet injury
received last Friday, the number of people killed in the fresh
wave of violence in the Valley since last Friday has gone up
Giving details of minor incidents since this morning,
the spokesman said one vehicle of 9th India Reserve Battalion
was damaged in Pampore by some protesters while one discarded
Gypsy vehicle was set on fire in Qamarwari area.
In Shopian, a mob attacked the Forest Protection Force
complex comprising about 10 buildings and tried to set the
complex on fire and the vehicles parked in the compound.
A Police team, which immediately reached the spot, was
able to prevent damages to eight buildings and three vehicles,
the spokesman said.
However, protesters set ablaze two buildings and burnt
one vehicle, he said.
Police said a group of agitators also pelted stones on
passing vehicles on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway but no
one was hurt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up