One more killed but Kashmir relatively peaceful
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 04, 2010, 22:49
Srinagar: After five days of violence and arson, Kashmir valley was today relatively peaceful barring stray incidents and one episode of firing at a stone pelting mob by security personnel here in the night in which one person was killed.

On a day when Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani made a passionate appeal for calm, Security forces kept a tight vigil and strictly enforced curfew in all the 10 districts of the valley. There were however reports of restrictions being defied by protestors at a few places.

One person was killed after security personnel fired at a stone-pelting mob at Nund Reshi colony in Bemina here in the night, police said.

The mob was pelting stones and was turning violent and repeated cane-charging and teargassing failed to defuse the situation.

Security forces had to fire in which one person was killed, police said. The victim was identified as Md Yakub.

"The situation in the Kashmir valley remained by and large peaceful," a state government spokesman said.

With tonight's killing in Bemina and one man identified as Iqbal Ahmed Khan from Chanapora succumbing to bullet injury received last Friday, the number of people killed in the fresh wave of violence in the Valley since last Friday has gone up to 29.

Giving details of minor incidents since this morning, the spokesman said one vehicle of 9th India Reserve Battalion was damaged in Pampore by some protesters while one discarded Gypsy vehicle was set on fire in Qamarwari area.

In Shopian, a mob attacked the Forest Protection Force complex comprising about 10 buildings and tried to set the complex on fire and the vehicles parked in the compound.

A Police team, which immediately reached the spot, was able to prevent damages to eight buildings and three vehicles, the spokesman said.

However, protesters set ablaze two buildings and burnt one vehicle, he said.

Police said a group of agitators also pelted stones on passing vehicles on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway but no one was hurt.


First Published: Wednesday, August 04, 2010, 22:49

comments powered by Disqus