One of Noida starving sisters dies, other critical

The two sisters were forcefully rescued by the police from their flat located in Noida`s Sector 29.

Noida: The horror case of the two
starving sisters, who were rescued yesterday in a very bad
shape from their apartment, took a tragic turn on Wednesday when one
of them died at a hospital here while the condition of the
other deteriorated.

Authorities, meanwhile, ordered a magisterial probe
into the circumstances that led to the shocking case of self-
deprivation by the sisters Anuradha and her sister Sonali,
both in their 40s and holding doctorate degrees, who were
self-confined for six months in their house.
They were found in a severely malnourished and
dehydrated state by police and neighbours in their Sector 29
apartment when they were rescued.

"Anuradha`s mouth was bleeding. She was shifted to the
ICU but in spite of all efforts we were not able to
resuscitate here. And, she breathed her last at 8:05 AM," Dr
Amit, Chief Medical Officer of Kailash Hospital where the
sisters were admitted, said.

The immediate cause of the death of Anuradha (43) was
cardiac arrest. "Due to malnutrition there was a multi-organ
failure. This led to the cardiac arrest. A post-mortem will be
conducted," VV Joshi, hospital spokesperson, said.

Doctors at Kailash Hospital said Sonali has been
shifted to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) as her condition has
worsened. "Her blood pressure has fallen. She is diagnosed
with malnutrition, dehydration and depression," they said.

The District Magistrate has asked City Magistrate
Sanjay Chauhan to look into the circumstances of their
self-confinement and starvation.

"I have been asked to conduct a magisterial enquiry
into the unnatural death of Anuradha. I will conduct the
inquiry to know the circumstances under which they had
confined themselves and the possible reasons and will submit
the report within 45 days," Chauhan told agency.

Disturbed by the incident, the National Commission for
Women has ordered an enquiry and sought a report from Noida
authorities and the police.

Superintendent of Police (Noida City) Anant Dev said
police have not registered a case as they feel that no offence
has been made out under the IPC. He said the police acted
promptly to rescue the women after it was informed about them.
"As soon as we came to know about it, we took action,"
he said.
Vipin Behl, the brother of the two women who was not
living with them for the past some years, said he had gone to
Bangalore and later shifted to Gurgaon where he is currently
working. Behl said he had transferred the parental property to
the sisters as well as some fixed deposits.

"I had shifted to Bangalore and later came back to
Gurgaon where I am working now. I had transferred the property
in their names. I have also transferred some fixed deposits in
their names," he said, adding he will take care of his
surviving sister and bear all expenses for her treatment.

Anuradha and Sonali were apparently disturbed since
their father and mother passed away some years back and their
younger brother left them. In the interim period, their pet
dog also died after which they got into a state of depression.

Police had broken into the apartment after being
informed by neighbours and an NGO about the women who had not
come out of their home for the past several months.
Initially neighbours thought it was best to leave them alone, thinking that they need time to come to terms with the loss. In the interim their pet dog also died, pushing them farther from the society.

But when the girls completely stopped coming out of their home, the RWA sought help from the police.

A member of the Sector 59 Residents Welfare
Association said, "The two sisters were upset after their
parents died some years ago. They had differences with their
younger brother who lives separately. Their pet dog, who they
were very fond of, died about six months back after which they
became even more upset."

Usha Thakur, a social activist who accompanied the
police, said the house was stinking when its door was broken

"There was a very bad odour coming from the sisters`
bodies. While the older one was half nude, the younger sister
was wearing woollen clothes in this warm weather," she

Seeking a report from Noida administration, NCW
acting chairperson Yasmeen Abrar said, "The Noida case has
disturbed me a lot. We are seeking a report from the
administration and police there. If we are not satisfied, we
might constitute a team and visit the spot."

To a query about whether the area residents welfare
association should be taken to task, Abrar said civil society
has a key role to play to prevent such incidents. "They were
confined for such a long time. I feel that civil society has a
role. The society should monitor, be aware, come forward."


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link