One-third of AICC, PCC members be women: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia
Gandhi has directed state units to ensure that one-third
members of the AICC and Pradesh Congress Committees are women.
Continuing to be proactive on the issue of women
empowerment, Gandhi has said there should be 33 per cent
reservation for women while deciding the All India Congress
Committee members, a central leader said.
There are around 1000 AICC members from all over the
country who form the electoral college for the all powerful
Congress Working Committee.
The leader, who did not wish to be named, said that
the party chief has also asked the Pradesh Congress Committees
to ensure that one third of their office bearers are women.
Besides, Gandhi has made it clear to state units that
they should not go for jumbo committees and opt for compact
Elections for the CWC are scheduled on November two at
the meeting of the AICC here.
Almost a decade back, Gandhi had been instrumental in
ensuring one third reservation for women at all levels in the
organisation and Congress has been the first major national
party to implement it.
Gandhi also played a major role in the passage of the
Women`s Reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha, which has been
hanging fire for a dozen odd years.
There is, however, no official word so far as to when
the Congress-led coalition at the Centre would be bringing the
Bill in the Lok Sabha.
Gandhi`s directive on one third quota for women in
AICC has resulted in several existing AICC members not getting
re-elected. Also the state units are making extra
efforts for finding the right candidates.
Gandhi, who has been re-elected as the party chief for
the fourth term, has created a record of having the longest
tenure. She took over as the head of the organisation in April
Sonia announces 18 PCC chiefs; Amarinder, Joshi make it
Former chief minister
Amarinder Singh and G Parmeshwar will head the Congress state
units in Punjab and Karnataka respectively with party
president Sonia Gandhi today naming 18 PCC chiefs.
Rita Bahuguna Joshi in Uttar Pradesh, Manas Ranjan
Bhunia of West Bengal, JP Agrawal of Delhi and Bhubaneshwar
Kalita of Assam are among PCC chiefs who have been retained.
Sonia Gandhi was earlier authorised by the state units
to name their new chiefs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in