‘OneWorld’ announces fellowship results
New Delhi: The first Akshaya-Patra-OneWorld Media Fellowships on Hunger – 2012 were announced on Thursday. The recipients of the Fellowships are Soma Basu of The Statesman, Sarada Lahangir of the Women Features Service, Nivedita Jha from the Dainik Jagran daily newspaper’s Patna edition, Mahesh Suresh Sarlanshkar of the Maharashtra Times and Ratna Bharali Talukdar of India Together.
The fellows were selected by an eminent jury comprising of MK Venu, Managing Editor of the Financial Express newspaper, Kiran Mehra-Kerpelman, Director of the UN Information Centre for India and Bhutan, Gurdeep Singh Sappal, CEO of Rajya Sabha TV, Britannia’s Category Director for Health and Wellness, Anuradha Narasimhan, and, Dr Sheila C Vir, Director of the Public Health Nutrition and Development Centre.
The fellowship prize in total of Rs One Lakh will help in doing research work on the subject of hunger, malnutrition and food security in India. While it is meant to help young, mid-career journalists further their understanding on the complex subject, the Fellows will also write on the subject for their respective publications. The fellowship includes travel opportunities to remote villages and districts of the country that are home to extreme hunger, malnutrition and food insecurity.
The fellowship also gives the young journalists an opportunity to look at the issues of hunger through other prisms of development. For instance, the journalists will be able to see how the mid-day meals have addressed the issue of malnutrition among children and how and if hunger has abated school drop-outs.
The Akshaya-Patra-OneWorld Media Fellowships on Hunger – 2012 has been instituted by the Akshaya-Patra Foundation and OneWorld South Asia for furthering the debate on the issues of hunger, malnutrition and food security. These issues confirm to the first goal of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?