Online filing of FIR soon
New Delhi: Come 2013, an FIR can be filed at
the click of a mouse.
"Online registration of First Information Report will be possible" once server and network is established by the year end or early next year, Home Minister P Chidambaram told the
Rajya Sabha Wednesday.
Answering questions on police reforms, he said the Centre
was against selection of Director General of Police of a state
by Union Pubic Service Commission as has been directed by the
Supreme Court in 2006.
The selection, he said, should be left to the states from among 3-4 senior officers. Centre and state are on the same page on this issue.
The Centre is also against giving a two-year fixed tenure
to a DGP irrespective of retirement age as cadre management
would become very difficult, he said. States too have
expressed difficulty in following the direction, he said.
The Supreme Court had also directed constitution of a
State Security Commission, separating investigating police
from law and order police, setting up of Police Establishment
Board at state level to decide transfers, postings and
promotions of officers, and having Police Complaints
Authorities at state and district levels to go into complaints
against police officers, he said.
The Home Ministry has also filed an application for
modifications in the judgement on certain aspects like
direction stipulating a minimum 2-year tenure for DGP, he said
hoping the apex court will strike a balance.
"As far as states are concerned, I doubt if there is a
consensus in this House or the other House for implementation
of police reforms," he said.
"I believe police is answerable to law. The police are not answerable to any man or woman," he said, adding civilian authority in administering law and order and public order
cannot be removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof