Online US visa process from February 1
Mumbai: The US Consulate announced that online US visa application process would be launched from February 1 next year.
The measure is aimed at ensuring paperless process while applying for visas, Consular Section chief David Tyler told reporters at the American Center here.
"The applicant would have to fill up visa papers electronically, answer a few questions online and approach the consulate with a print-out of a one-page confirmation with barcode," he said.
The new consulate building at Bandra-Kurla Complex here would be operational in summer next year, Tyler said. The consulate now operates from a leased premise in Breach Candy area.
The number of students from India to the US increased by nine per cent, from 94,563 to 103,260 during 2008-09, Tyler said. China and Korea have the second and third largest students studying in the US, he added.
India is leading for the last eight years in a row, he said, adding that the growth in number of Indian students per year is between five to ten per cent.
There was a slight drop in overall number of visa applicants last year in the backdrop of recession, but the number is picking up, he said.
The number of US visa applications was down by around 10 to 12 per cent worldwide last year, Tyler said. In western India, there was a drop of around 20 per cent, he added.
Security has always been a concern while processing visa applications, the senior diplomat said.
"Security is a concern, specially after the 9/11 terror attacks," he said. Measures like name checks, fingerprint verification for applicants between 14 and 80 years is undertaken, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400