Only 10% of women in rural India own land in their name: UN
New Delhi: Facing problems of wide literacy gap and a patriarchal society, only 10 per cent of women in rural India own land in their name, according to the UN.
Three reports were launched today ahead of International Rural Women`s Day on October 15. The scoping research which was conducted on 504 women in 19 villages across four districts of Andhra Pradesh and Bihar also claimed that only 22 per cent of the families were aware of the Hindu Succession Act that allows women to inherit property.
"In India close to 86 per cent of all rural women depend on agriculture for survival, but only 10 per cent own land. Land is a crucial economic asset for women in poor rural communities," said said Anne Stenhammer, Regional Programme Director, UN Women South Asia.
"No land documents, a wide literacy gap and a patriarchal society are just some of the challenges women face when it comes to claiming the land in their own name," a release by UN Women said.
The report also mentions issues being faced by women in the process of claiming lands.
"87 per cent of the women claim that their husbands did not want them to own land. In 57 per cent of cases culture and religion were important barriers and only 12 per cent of women respondents say they have or believe that they will inherit land from their parents," it said.
UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know