Only Congress can unite the `two Hindustans`: Rahul
New Delhi: Asking party members to work
for the weaker sections who can take the country forward,
Rahul Gandhi Tuesday said it was only Congress which could unite
the "two Hindustans" -- one for the rich and the other for the
The 40-year-old Congress general secretary, who sat in
the back row on the dais at the AICC session here, rose to
speak after vociferous demands from party workers.
"This (his speech) was not part of the plan. You cornered me at the last minute," he said as Congress members cheered and clapped in Talkatora Indoor Stadium.
Referring to his intensive travels across the country
and interactions with a cross-section of people, he said, "I
have understood two things clearly.
"First is that it is only the poor people who can take
the country forward. And if we have to take the poor people
forward, the Prime Minister`s strategy for economic growth is
"There are two Hindustans - one is growing very fast
and the other is for the poor (which is in crisis).... We have
to connect and unite the two.”
Congress, he said, was the only party which could do
this as all other parties were "either regional, or based on
caste or religion".
"It is only the Congress - a national party - which
can do it as it has its presence all over the country," Rahul
said, adding that the party was gaining strength every year.
He said people used to say that Congress was finished
in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
"The party is not finished. The party can be easily
rekindled by learning the problems of the poor and working for
them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi