Only disappointment from govt on SL Tamils issue:
Chennai: Stepping up pressure on the Centre, key UPA ally DMK on Sunday said it has received `only disappointment` from the Union government with regard to its stand on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
"So far, we have got only disappointment from whom we have been expecting a strong and stable announcement (on the issue)," DMK President M Karunanidhi said in his party organ "Murasoli".
He was referring to recent statements of External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi that India would not interfere in the internal matters of another country.
"It (such comments) has saddened the Tamils living the world over," the DMK patriarch said.
On Prime Minister Manmohan Singh advocating direct talks between Colombo and Tamils, he said Singh too had not given any firm assurance on India`s stand on the issue.
Karunanidhi recalled past instances when India had "intervened" as in South Africa when apartheid was prevalent in that country and also when late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi extended India`s support to secure the release of freedom fighter Mujibur Rahman in Bangladesh.
"Those who constantly follow history will not fail to ask the question on intervention of one country in the internal matters of another country," he said.
Claiming that international agencies and investigations have held Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse solely responsible for the killings of Tamils in the island nation, he requested Tamils in the state to participate with "single-mindedness" to support the dawn-to-dusk general strike called by TESO on March 12.
DMK backed Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisations has called for a general strike in Tamil Nadu on March 12 to mount pressure on the Centre to support US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened