Only disappointment from govt on SL Tamils issue:
Chennai: Stepping up pressure on the Centre, key UPA ally DMK on Sunday said it has received `only disappointment` from the Union government with regard to its stand on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
"So far, we have got only disappointment from whom we have been expecting a strong and stable announcement (on the issue)," DMK President M Karunanidhi said in his party organ "Murasoli".
He was referring to recent statements of External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi that India would not interfere in the internal matters of another country.
"It (such comments) has saddened the Tamils living the world over," the DMK patriarch said.
On Prime Minister Manmohan Singh advocating direct talks between Colombo and Tamils, he said Singh too had not given any firm assurance on India`s stand on the issue.
Karunanidhi recalled past instances when India had "intervened" as in South Africa when apartheid was prevalent in that country and also when late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi extended India`s support to secure the release of freedom fighter Mujibur Rahman in Bangladesh.
"Those who constantly follow history will not fail to ask the question on intervention of one country in the internal matters of another country," he said.
Claiming that international agencies and investigations have held Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse solely responsible for the killings of Tamils in the island nation, he requested Tamils in the state to participate with "single-mindedness" to support the dawn-to-dusk general strike called by TESO on March 12.
DMK backed Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisations has called for a general strike in Tamil Nadu on March 12 to mount pressure on the Centre to support US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'