Only EPIC, voter`s slip as ID proof for polling
Panaji: In a bid to regulate the election
process, Election Commission of India (ECI) has decided to
discard 14 documents that were considered as proof of identity
Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi told reporters
that the electoral photo identity card (EPIC), and the voter`s
slip would be the only documents permitted as an identity
proof of the voter.
He said ECI would be issuing voter`s slip with a
photograph printed on it, discouraging the earlier practice of
political parties giving such a document.
Quraishi said that the experiment of giving voter`s slip
was tried in the Bihar elections and polls for the subsequent
He said that EPIC coverage has touched almost 95 per cent
mark in Goa and it would be 100 per cent in the next two
"We will be holding camps in places where EPIC coverage
is not there. If despite all efforts, some voters refuse to
get the card than they will not be allowed to vote," he said.
Quraishi said only 15 per cent of the youths aged between
18-19 years were enrolling on the voters` list, which was
"Many a times they are unaware that they are eligible for
voting," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea