Only numbers matter in democracy: Sriprakash Jaiswal
Kanpur: Debunking BJP`s claim that government had suffered a moral defeat in Parliament on the FDI issue, Union minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Saturday said that it is numbers that finally matter.
"Opposition is saying that we have used number force instead of moral force in securing victory on the floor, who should tell them that Parliament runs only on numbers and not on moral grounds," the Union Coal minister said on the sidelines of a book release function.
He was asked about Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj dubbing government`s victory on FDI both in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha as a "moral defeat". She had also accused the ruling dispensation of managing the numbers by using "CBI to pressurise political parties".
Those states which are opposing the FDI will be lining up to adopt it in future, the minister said.
When asked about the speculation about entering into an alliance with BSP, which had supported the government on FDI in multi-brand retail, in the 2014 general elections, Jaiswal said, "it is too early to jump to any such conclusion".
He said Mayawati`s support for the government on the FDI issue should be seen as nothing more than a decision to do the right thing as she saw fit.
The minister, who was here to attend launch of a book by writer and educationists Mahe T Siddiqui, said that all those who knew the truth about FDI had ended up supporting it.
He added that it was not right for states, who did not want to introduce FDI in retail, to object to others` decision to do so.
Speaking at the occasion, Padmashree awardee Giriraj Kishore said, "earlier authors and poets were respected by the political leadership, but the situation has changed now, its upto the youth of this country now to bring that culture back into the society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened