Only one rape conviction in Delhi in 2012
New Delhi: Only one person has been convicted for rape in the Indian capital this year, parliament was informed Wednesday.
Minister of State for Home M. Ramachandran told the Rajya Sabha that 635 rapes were reported this year and 754 people were arrested for the crime.
A total of 404 were challaned, he said in a statement. Investigation was pending in 348 cases while two suspects were discharged.
Another 193 cases of eve teasing were reported in the capital this year, the minister said. While 200 people were arrested, no one was convicted, he said.
A total of 128 dowry death cases were reported in 2012 but there was no conviction. The total number of arrests were placed at 253.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY