Only political system can fight corruption: Rahul
New Delhi: In a veiled attack on Anna Hazare,
Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said the battle against corruption could be
fought "only through political system".
"People talk of corruption. If you want to fight
corruption then this can only be done through the political
system, through democratic means," he said while
addressing Youth Congress activists at a meeting here.
But Gandhi did not not name anyone but his remarks came
on a day when Hazare declared that he would campaign against
Congress in Assembly elections in five states if the Lokpal
bill was not not passed by Parliament during the winter
The Congress General Secretary pitched for making
organisations more democratic and involving ordinary youth,
who find politics inaccessible.
"The biggest problem is that politics is out of reach of
the ordinary youth of the country," the Congress general
"If we make our organisations democratic, it would be a
major step towards fighting corruption," Gandhi said, adding
that his party was opening doors for the youth of the country
to join politics.
Earlier, Gandhi surprised many when he travelled in a
Metro train and then a radio taxi to reach the venue of the
rally in Rohini in north Delhi, where he was scheduled to
speak to Youth Congress activists at the Japanese Park for a
`potential candidates meet`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them