Only supporting Mamata, not her party: Anna Hazare
New Delhi: Hours after announcing his support to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the Lok Sabha polls, social activist Anna Hazare on Wednesday made it clear that his backing is not to any party but only to an individual.
"I am supporting her but I am not supporting any political party," he said without elaborating.
Hazare said he was supporting Banerjee as she agreed to implement his "17 point agenda" covering a range of issues including containing graft and bringing in more transparency if she comes to power at the Centre.
"I will not support any party, even after 2014 elections.
I just want to serve my country and will support anybody who makes similar efforts, but will not support any political outfit," he said.
Among other issues in the 17-point agenda of Hazare are land acquisition, FDI in retail, judicial accountability bill and bringing back black money.
"The 17 points that I mentioned are powerful points and if implemented they will bring breakthrough changes in our country," he said.
Hazare refused to reply to a question on who among Banerjee, Arvind Kejriwal and Narendra Modi will be the best leader for the country.
The social activist was speaking after releasing a book titled "Is it police?: Confessions of a top cop", written by Vinoy Kumar Singh, an IPS officer of 1987 batch from Andhra Pradesh cadre. Singh is currently posted as ADG of police in Hyderabad.
Also present on the occasion was former Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar.
When asked whether he has any plans of joining politics, Kumar said, "I would like to keep that option open. I haven`t considered it yet but if any offer like that comes my way, I will think about it."
In his book, Vinoy has chronicled over 23 years of his experiences as a police officer and highlighted few "negative" aspects of the profession.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'