`Open inquiries` by IT at companies that invested in Gadkari`s Purti
Mumbai: The Income Tax department today conducted "open inquiries" at the premises of companies which invested in Purti Sugar and Power run by beleaguered BJP chief Nitin Gadkari and found many of their directors were people with small means like security guards and labourers.
"We conducted open inquires at 12 places in Mumbai and also in Pune, Nagpur and Kolkata," a senior IT official said speaking on condition of anonymity.
IT sources said statement of over 13 people, who were named as directors of these companies, have been recorded so far in Mumbai.
"People who were mentioned as Directors are men of no means. Most of them are security guards, labourers and astrologers, with many claiming they do not know how their names figured as directors," they said.
"These companies were started with paid up capital of about Rs 2,000 to Rs 3,000 but later huge amounts were pumped into the companies," sources said, without mentioning the names of entities at whose premises the inquiries were conducted.
IT sleuths at various locations have found that offices were being made to look like genuine companies registered with the Registrar of Companies.
"We found carpentry work underway at some of the locations," they said, adding "Prima facie these are shell (inactive companies set up to manoeuvre funds) companies."
Sources said if the companies were not able to explain the source of their funds "it will be considered as explained and concluded they had evaded taxes and would be penalized accordingly".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA