Open minded on idea for prez candidate: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Monday said it was "open minded" about suggestions on choice of the next president and that it would consult its United Progressive Alliance partners on the issue.
Responding to ally Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Sharad Pawar`s reported support for an apolitical candidate, Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury said it was the party`s duty to listen to views of its allies. She said the party`s core committee will discuss the matter.
"These are the suggestions given by our respected allies. We are open-minded. These will be placed before the concerned committee at the appropriate fora for discussion," Chowdhury said.
Answering queries, Chowdhury said any person occupying the post of president acts impartially.
"I do not see insecurity or fear or where they belong and we have in the history of India only one president who has not been aligned with political party. I don`t consider it a qualification or a disqualification," Chowdhury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state