Open to meeting Narendra Modi: David Cameron
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: British Prime Minister David Cameron, who is on a-day long trip to India, said that he was open to meeting all elected leaders, including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, reports said Thursday.
Britain ended the decade-old boycott of the Gujarat CM last year in October, when UK High Commissioner James Bevan came to India and met Modi.
In wake of 2002 Gujarat riots, the UK, US and some European nations had imposed a travel ban on Modi.
On being asked if Cameron would like to meet the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Modi, the British PM replied in affirmative, saying he was open to meeting all elected leaders including Narendra Modi.
"In time, yes. It`s good to meet. We have an approach of meeting all politicians and leaders. In the end, it will be for the people of India whom to elect. But I`m open to meeting elected leaders," Cameron said.
"We have started a proper engagement with Gujarat and with the First (Chief) Minister there. Our Foreign Office Minister has met with him... The connection is there, the engagement is there. I think the engagement should continue," he added.
Cameron who arrived in New Delhi today ahead of Commonwealth Summit in Colombo, met PM Manmohan Singh and held talks focussed on improving the bilateral trade ties.
Later, he is scheduled to visit Kolkata and meet West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America