Open to meeting Narendra Modi: David Cameron
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: British Prime Minister David Cameron, who is on a-day long trip to India, said that he was open to meeting all elected leaders, including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, reports said Thursday.
Britain ended the decade-old boycott of the Gujarat CM last year in October, when UK High Commissioner James Bevan came to India and met Modi.
In wake of 2002 Gujarat riots, the UK, US and some European nations had imposed a travel ban on Modi.
On being asked if Cameron would like to meet the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Modi, the British PM replied in affirmative, saying he was open to meeting all elected leaders including Narendra Modi.
"In time, yes. It`s good to meet. We have an approach of meeting all politicians and leaders. In the end, it will be for the people of India whom to elect. But I`m open to meeting elected leaders," Cameron said.
"We have started a proper engagement with Gujarat and with the First (Chief) Minister there. Our Foreign Office Minister has met with him... The connection is there, the engagement is there. I think the engagement should continue," he added.
Cameron who arrived in New Delhi today ahead of Commonwealth Summit in Colombo, met PM Manmohan Singh and held talks focussed on improving the bilateral trade ties.
Later, he is scheduled to visit Kolkata and meet West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand