Open to supporting NCTC if suggestions incorporate: Raman Singh
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday said if suggestions made by the state governments are incorporated and the proposed NCTC is suitably amended, he was open to supporting its formation.
"We have made certain suggestions for amendment in the NCTC. All the three powers - intelligence gathering, operations and full control over the civil services - by NCTC cannot be accepted. If NCTC is suitably amended, we can agree to support it," he told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting of Chief Ministers on the anti-terror body.
On the NCTC having the powers to conduct operations, Singh said, merely informing the state DGP is not enough.
Non-congress states are opposed to NCTC having the powers of arrest and seizure.
Singh also emphasised on the need for a national policy to deal with naxalism and terrorism and said there should be "no negotiations" in case of a hostage crisis.
"There should be a consensus that we will not negotiate who ever the hostage is. Be it an officer, a minister or even the Chief Minister," he said, adding that there should be no pressure on states to negotiate.
The Chhattisgarh CM said the Centre has the right to pass laws in Parliament against terror but organisations like NCTC should not be formed through an executive order or an ordinance. He said the views of the states should also be considered.
Singh felt unlimited powers cannot be given to the Centre and said the states are ready to cooperate with the Centre in intelligence gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal