Open to supporting NCTC if suggestions incorporate: Raman Singh
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday said if suggestions made by the state governments are incorporated and the proposed NCTC is suitably amended, he was open to supporting its formation.
"We have made certain suggestions for amendment in the NCTC. All the three powers - intelligence gathering, operations and full control over the civil services - by NCTC cannot be accepted. If NCTC is suitably amended, we can agree to support it," he told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting of Chief Ministers on the anti-terror body.
On the NCTC having the powers to conduct operations, Singh said, merely informing the state DGP is not enough.
Non-congress states are opposed to NCTC having the powers of arrest and seizure.
Singh also emphasised on the need for a national policy to deal with naxalism and terrorism and said there should be "no negotiations" in case of a hostage crisis.
"There should be a consensus that we will not negotiate who ever the hostage is. Be it an officer, a minister or even the Chief Minister," he said, adding that there should be no pressure on states to negotiate.
The Chhattisgarh CM said the Centre has the right to pass laws in Parliament against terror but organisations like NCTC should not be formed through an executive order or an ordinance. He said the views of the states should also be considered.
Singh felt unlimited powers cannot be given to the Centre and said the states are ready to cooperate with the Centre in intelligence gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you