Open to supporting NCTC if suggestions incorporate: Raman Singh
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday said if suggestions made by the state governments are incorporated and the proposed NCTC is suitably amended, he was open to supporting its formation.
"We have made certain suggestions for amendment in the NCTC. All the three powers - intelligence gathering, operations and full control over the civil services - by NCTC cannot be accepted. If NCTC is suitably amended, we can agree to support it," he told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting of Chief Ministers on the anti-terror body.
On the NCTC having the powers to conduct operations, Singh said, merely informing the state DGP is not enough.
Non-congress states are opposed to NCTC having the powers of arrest and seizure.
Singh also emphasised on the need for a national policy to deal with naxalism and terrorism and said there should be "no negotiations" in case of a hostage crisis.
"There should be a consensus that we will not negotiate who ever the hostage is. Be it an officer, a minister or even the Chief Minister," he said, adding that there should be no pressure on states to negotiate.
The Chhattisgarh CM said the Centre has the right to pass laws in Parliament against terror but organisations like NCTC should not be formed through an executive order or an ordinance. He said the views of the states should also be considered.
Singh felt unlimited powers cannot be given to the Centre and said the states are ready to cooperate with the Centre in intelligence gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day