Opinion divided over Army chief`s decision
New Delhi: Opinion was divided among experts
and veterans over Army Chief General VK Singh`s decision to
approach the Supreme Court against the government on his age
"An Army Chief going to court on personal matters is not
good for the force or the nation as a whole," Gen Singh`s
predecessor Gen Deepak Kapoor told PTI but declined to
comment specifically on the age issue.
Asked about the age row, he said this had come up during
the tenure of Gen JJ Singh as Army Chief.
Talking to PTI former IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal PV
Naik, who had also advised Gen Singh on the age issue earlier
as a senior in the Chiefs of Staffs Committee, said, "I think
it is a personal issue and he should do whatever he thinks is
"As a citizen of the country, he has the right to go to
the court," he said.
However, former foreign service officer KC Singh termed
it as a "dangerous precedent" and cited earlier incidents
where senior government servants had put in their papers
instead of approaching courts on official matters.
Terming the development "extremely unfortunate", another
ex-IAF chief ACM SK Kaul said, "The matter should have been
settled between the government and Army chief with both sides
agreeing to some meeting point."
Without taking sides on the issue, he said, "I feel there
are so many pending issues to jostle with."
Lieutenant General (retd) Satish Nambiar said the Army
Chief has every right to approach the court as citizen of this
"Date of Birth can not be subject of discussion," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam