Oppn accuses govt of ignoring `aam aadmi` in budget
New Delhi: Charging that the budget had
ignored the `aam aadmi`, Opposition on Thursday said the government
failed miserably to address price rise and inflation that
would bring down the economic growth rate.
Former Finance Minister Yashwant Sinha (BJP), who
initiated the debate on Budget in the Lok Sabha, said the
government had forgotten about the common man, the poor and
the rural population of the country and had announced measures
that would benefit the rich.
"What I say may not be palatable to Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee, but there is nothing personal in it. The
budget usually indicates economic challenges of the time and
how to tide over them. But the budget speech makes no mention
of price rise or inflation as a challenge that the country
faces today," Sinha said in his hour-long speech.
He noted that Mukherjee mentioned only achieving 9 per
cent growth rate and marching into double-digit figures in the
coming years, to make development more inclusive and removing
bottlenecks in social welfare programmes as the challenges
that the government would address in the coming fiscal.
"The only good news in the budget is that toy balloons
have become cheaper. Now, a child wanting to reside in the
Indira Awas that would get electricity under the Rajiv Gandhi
Gram Vidhyutkaran programme will go to the cities using the
Jawarharlal Nehru Rural road, but his mother would tell him
there is no roti to feed him, but only toy balloons," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena