Oppn can`t dictate terms on policy decisions: Cong
New Delhi: As both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned yet again over Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail, the ruling Congress on Monday accused the opposition of deliberately stalling proceedings and said it could not dictate terms to the government on policy decisions.
"The government is ready to hold discussion on any issue, but the opposition is deliberately stalling the proceedings," Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters outside Parliament.
"Opposition cannot dictate terms to the government regarding policy decisions," he said.
Party leader Rajiv Shukla, meanwhile, said there was no question of accepting opposition demands for an adjournment motion on the FDI in retail.
"There is no question of accepting the opposition demand on adjournment motion, only one adjournment motion. Opposition should assist in running the house rather than insist on adjournment motions," Shukla said outside Parliament.
Opposition parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Left parties and the AIADMK, have been protesting against the FDI in retail. The BJP gave a notice for an adjournment of Question Hour to take up the issue, which was supported by the Left.
The AIADMK also gave notice for a separate adjournment motion in both houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information