Oppn dig at media over paid news phenomenon
New Delhi: The Opposition on Wednesday took a dig
at media for "paid news" phenomenon saying the purpose of free
press has been defeated.
The issue was raised both in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha
during discussion on the issue of corruption.
"...The whole concept of giving freedom to media is
defeated. ...We have started getting paid news service,"
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said.
He raised concern over role of media in shaping public
opinion with the emergence of "paid news services" in the last
Jaitley also said corruption is an important issue
haunting the society and has acquired the centre-stage in the
In the Lok Sabha, Mulayam Singh Yadav (SP) said "paid
news" played a big role during elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list