Opposition criticises UPA Govt for clearing contentious nuke liability bill
New Delhi: Opposition leaders have slammed the government over the contentious Nuclear Liability Clause after the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) gave its clearance, paving way for signing of an agreement between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) and America`s Westinghouse.
India is making a last-minute push to close a nuclear deal in time for a meeting between US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who has made atomic energy cooperation with Washington a hallmark of his tenure.
Under the proposed deal, India would contract Toshiba`s US nuclear unit Westinghouse for preliminary works, including information sharing, a senior Indian official said. The aim is to build nuclear plants in the state of Gujarat.
The clearance has been criticised by Indian opposition parties, who accused the government of trying to bypass due process and water down the liability law.
Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha said on Wednesday: "The deal and the condition in the deal will be completely violated and illegal because they don`t confirm to Indian laws. I don`t know why the prime minister is so keen to go to US and sign this deal because it doesn`t have anything for us. If the government itself starts to violate the law of the land then where is the hope?"
Singh is due to meet Obama in Washington on September 27.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- SHOCKING! Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Haryana - WATCH VIDEO
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview