Opposition flays CBI`s decision to close DA case against Mulayam
New Delhi: Opposition parties on Saturday attacked the government over CBI`s decision to close a disproportionate asset case against Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav alleging the agency was being used as a tool to further political interests.
The parties, including BJP, BJD and CPI(M), charged the Congress-led UPA government was behind the agency`s reported decision to file the closure report in the DA case against Yadav.
BJP charged Congress has had some understanding with Samajwadi Party in the present Lok Sabha and whenever it has to get the support of the party for passage of a Bill or a resolution, the government uses CBI against Yadav.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said CBI`s decision to file the closure report may have prompted the party to say it will support the Food Security bill.
Latest reports, however, suggest that Yadav may oppose it in Parliament.
Yadav, however, said he was not aware of CBI`s move to file a closure report. "I do not know about it. I do not know how you came to know about it," Yadav told reporters in Lucknow.
He also said the government could convene an all-party meeting on the food law.
Baijayant Panda of Biju Janata Dal said it was not good to use CBI as a political tool.
"We hope that the Supreme Court will take a view on this and not let it happen," he said.
Atul Anjan of CPI said CBI is once again in the centre of a discussion on "whether it will act to the wishes of Congress party."
In November 2005, a PIL was filed in the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe into the assets of Mulayam Singh, his sons Akhilesh and Prateek, and daughter-in-law Dimple. It was alleged the family had acquired properties worth over Rs 100 crore in UP, disproportionate to known sources of their income.
Meanwhile, CBI today said it has not taken any final decision on the inquiry into the dispropotionate asset case against Mulayam Singh.
"The matter is currently under probe as per the directions of the Honourable Court. Inquiry is underway and in its final stages. No final decision has been taken yet. As and when the probe is over, CBI will apprise the court," CBI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends