Opposition for discussions on contentious issues in LS
New Delhi: The Opposition on Monday conveyed to the government at a meeting called by the Lok Sabha Speaker that it wants discussions and clarifications on contentious issues, including the state of the economy, drought, floods, ethnic violence in Assam, Centre-state relations and FDI in retail.
At the all-party meeting convened by Speaker Meira Kumar, the main Opposition and the Left parties emphasised that they want a serious debate on the state of the economy.
"There is a severe economic crisis in the country and fall in Ratings, devaluation of the Rupee vis-a-vis the Dollar and the problems caused by all this should be discussed. We want a debate on the issue in the House," Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj told reporters.
She said the party also wants a clarification on the government`s intentions on FDI in retail.
"On FDI in retail, it appears as if the government has given a silent nod though the then Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee had given an assurance in the House that till a consensus is build among all stake-holders the government will not move ahead. But the indications coming from the government show they have made up their mind," Swaraj said.
She demanded that the government either agree to a debate on this or assure the House that it will not bring it in.
The Left parties are also keen on a debate on the economy. "Our first priority in this session is the economic crisis which the government is camouflaging," CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta asserted.
He echoed the views of Swaraj on the FDI issue.
"Parliament is not a dancing doll of the government," Dasgupta said, adding that the government should take the Opposition demands seriously.
Incidentally, UPA ally TMC also warned the government against going ahead with "anti-people policies" like FDI in retail and the Pensions Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic