Opposition mistaken on letter to CMs over harassment of youth: Shinde
New Delhi: Under attack from BJP, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday said that his directive for the states to ensure that no innocents were wrongfully detained in terror cases was not specific to Muslims and implied youths of all communities.
Shinde said there was "nothing new" in his letter to the Chief Ministers of all states stressing on the need for justice for innocent minority youth languishing in jail on unsubstantiated terror charges.
He said he had used the term "Muslim" only in the first two paragraphs and the word minorities in the rest of the communication asking the states to ensure that no innocents were harassed by police.
"The Home Ministry keeps writing such letters. But why I wrote that letter, it was categorical. I wrote the letter after receiving representations from various NGOs and others which specifically made allegations of harassment of Muslim youth. We (Home Ministry) are not saying that. But political parties misunderstood it," he said at a press conference here.
Shinde said that the Opposition had read his letter in a way that suited them.
"If someone wants to misunderstand, what can we do. If someone`s culture is to put things in the dustbin, they can do it," he said when asked to comment on BJP`s statement that the said letter by him should be thrown into the dustbin.
Shinde said he has written to Chief Ministers in the past asking them to give relief to Scheduled Caste persons facing alleged atrocities.
Asked whether his directive was applicable to youth from the majority community who may be facing alleged harassment at police hands in false cases, the Home Minister said, "It is applicable to all."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook