Opposition parties, allies protest fuel hike
New Delhi: The steep hike in the prices of
petroleum products triggered countrywide protests on Saturday with
opposition parties hitting the streets demanding an immediate
rollback even as Congress asked party-ruled states to reduce
local levies to give reprieve to the common man.
UPA allies Trinamool Congress, NCP as also outside
supporters like Samajwadi Party too deprecated Centre`s move
to hike diesel price by Rs 3, domestic LPG by Rs 50 per
cylinder and kerosene by Rs.2 per litre and pressed for its
Facing the heat, Congress asked party-ruled states to
reduce the customs duty. It said all state governments can
bring down taxes according to their financial capacity.
Holding protests across the country, BJP today accused
the government of being insensitive to the sufferings of the
common man and imposing "economic Emergency" on the country.
Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj
said this was the 10th time that the UPA government has hiked
"Congress came to power on the slogan `Congress ka
haath, aam aadmi ke saath` but has become totally insensitive
to the sufferings of the common," she said.
The Left parties-CPI(M), CPI, RSP and Forward Bloc
asked all their units to immediately launch hartals,
demonstrations and opther protest actions across the country.
West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee, who heads
the Trinamool Congress, the second largest UPA ally, said
she was pained by the Centre`s move and asked it to reduce
On her part, she announced withdrawal of cess of Rs.16
per LPG cyliner in the state with immediate effect.
In Mumbai, Maharashtra deputy chief minister and NCP
leader Ajit Pawar opposed the hike saying it has increased the
hardships of the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state