Opposition raises questions over "bugging" episode
New Delhi: Questions continued to be
raised on Wednesday over the alleged bugging attempts in the offices
of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and his aides in the
North Block with Opposition parties rejecting the "chewing
gum" theory and demanding a thorough probe.
They sought to suggest that the episode could also be
reflective of the "trust deficit" within the government.
But the Congress hit back saying the BJP always
indulged in levelling "baseless allegations" to divert
attention from its internal rebellion. It said it was not not
aware of any problems within the government on the issue.
The man at the centre of all this, Mukherjee himself,
however, has sought to downplay calling the episode "bogus"
but did not not elaborate.
Officially, the government continued to main silence
on the issue.
A day after a row broke out after a national
newspaper reported on the alleged bugging, Leader of the
Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj termed as a "big
joke" the Intelligence Bureau`s "chewing gum theory" and
demanded a probe into it.
"The allegation of spying at Pranab Mukherjee`s office
is a serious matter. The Finance Minister himself may try to
dismiss it...he may be under some compulsions. But the country
wants to know," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling