Opposition slams govt over inflation
New Delhi: Opposition Thursday attacked the government over rising inflation and said its failure to pursue reforms aggressively through the maiden budget would make India vulnerable to changes in global economy.
They also faulted the government for not going in for big bang measures in the first budget of the NDA government to address the stagflation.
The members also sought a roadmap for rolling out the much delayed GST (Goods and Services Tax) whose implementation would lead to two per cent rise in the country`s GDP.
"If you are not aggressive in pushing reforms, Indian economy will remain vulnerable to slightest of changes in the international scenario," senior Congress leader M Verappa Moily said initiating a discussion on the Finance bill.
Dubbing the budget 2014-15 as "status quoist", he said despite much talk and promises, the government has not taken the economic agenda forward.
Moily said there has been no effort made to bring major reforms in the tax administration, noting that when BJP was in the opposition, it used to attack the government over "tax terrorism". " Have you made any attempt to remove that type of tension now?" he asked the government.
The former Union Minister also made a strong plea that there was need to redefine the role of the regulators at a time when the bureaucrats are fearing to take decisions as "regulator is haunting every official and is holding every action suspect".
He suggested this atmosphere needed to be changed to brighten up the investment climate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi