Opposition trying to stall Parliament: Govt
New Delhi: Hitting out at the BJP, the government on Friday said that the Opposition was trying to stall Parliament.
Addressing a press conference here, along with Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said, “The government is disappointed over BJP’s approach in Parliament.” He added that the attitude of the main opposition was “obstructionist”.
He enumerated that though 24 bills were to be taken up for consideration in this session of Parliament, only seven bills could pass in both the houses.
Pawan Kumar Bansal revealed that bills like Customs Amendment Bill, Copyright Amendment Bill, Pesticides Amendment Bill, NIT Amendment Bill amongst a host of others had not been discussed because of loss of time.
He lamented that because of Parliament being stalled regularly, “the most important piece of work was being relegated to the background.”
Meanwhile demanding recall of Gujarat Governor over appointment of Lokayukta, BJP today forced adjournment of the Rajya Sabha for the day, even as the
government blamed the Opposition for disallowing passage of
bills, important for engineering students.
The Upper House which had a considerable legislative
agenda, could not transact any substantive business as slogan
shouting BJP members trooped into the well forcing repeated
Trouble began minutes after the House assembled for the
day and between 11 am and 12:25 pm, the Chair had to adjourn
the House four times. When it reassembled at 2.30 pm, the main
Opposition continued protests forcing the Chair to adjourn the
House for the day. The Rajya Sabha will now meet on Monday.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez