Ordeal of Indian workers in Angola ends
New Delhi: A day after External Affairs Minister SM Krishna spoke to his Angolan counterpart, most Indian workers at a cement factory in the African country have been paid part of their outstanding overtime dues, with 57 of them likely to return to India in the next couple of days.
"All outstanding overtime dues for February 2012 have been paid in US dollars to all the workers present. Outstanding overtime dues for March 2012 will be disbursed in US dollars on May 23 and 24," Syed Akbaruddin, the external affairs ministry spokesperson, said here Wednesday.
"The management is booking passages of 57 workers (22 charged and 35 arrested but not charged) for leaving Angola in the next couple of days. Their return is being facilitated by the Indian embassy," he said.
He said the compensation of $40,000 imposed on the arrested workers had been waived by the Angolan authorities.
More than 700 Indian workers reported for duty at the cement plant at Sumbe in Angola, a West African oil-rich country.
The relief for Indian workers came after Krishna Tuesday spoke to his Angolan counterpart Georges Chickoty, who assured him that the contractual commitments to the workers would be met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?