Order judicial probe into Purulia case: Left to PM
New Delhi: The Left parties on Sunday asked
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to order a judicial probe by a
sitting Supreme Court judge into the "fresh revelations" in
the Purulia arms drop case.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, CPI(M) General
Secretary Prakash Karat and his CPI counterpart A B Bardhan
said only such an inquiry can help bring out the "whole truth"
about the 1995 incident.
"Recently, two of the persons involved in the affair,
Niels Nielsen alias Kim Davy and Peter Bleach, have been
talking to the media and providing information and making some
allegations regarding the arms drop and how it was planned,"
the letter said.
"It is necessary to have a comprehensive probe into
the whole affair. For this we request you to constitute a
judicial enquiry by a sitting Supreme Court judge," it said.
The Left leaders said Davy, the prime accused in the
case whose extradition to India has been sought by the CBI,
has provided some "startling information" on how he was able
to escape from the Mumbai airport after the plane which was
involved in the airdrop was intercepted and asked to land
Though 16 years have elapsed and some of the accused
were sentenced in the trial conducted in a Kolkata court, they
said much remains to be "cleared up" about this incident which
was a "serious assault" on the country`s sovereignty and
"It concerns a conspiracy to unleash violence against
the then elected government of West Bengal. It is also a case
which had international ramifications along with the role of
an organisation like the Ananda Marg, which was once banned
by the Government of India," Karat and Bardhan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah