‘Orders for hiking pension of ex-servicemen soon’
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony Tuesday said the orders for hiking pension of ex-servicemen and their families annually by Rs 2,300 crore, as sanctioned by the Cabinet, would be issued next month.
"This is the third time in the last four years that the Government has systematically improved the post-retirement benefits for ex-servicemen," he said while addressing a meeting of the Consultative Committee attached to his Ministry.
Orders authorising payment to ex-servicemen and their families accruing from the recent cabinet decisions, hiking pension and other benefits amounting to nearly Rs 2,300 crore per annum, would be issued next month, he said.
Outlining the measures taken by the Ministry for improving health care benefits of ex-servicemen, Antony said, "The Government has been trying to expand the delivery mechanism and simplify procedures so that the ex-servicemen get the required medical benefits without hassles."
He said under the Ex-servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS), 227 polyclinics were initially approved by the Government.
In 2010, another 199 polyclinics were sanctioned by the Government out of which 99 polyclinics have become functional and 100 polyclinics are under various stages of operationalization, the Defence Minister said.
Antony expressed confidence that with the commissioning of the remaining polyclinics the bulk of the ex-servicemen population throughout the country would be covered by the scheme.
The delivery of medicare at polyclinics is also hampered by the shortage of staff and non-availability of prescribed medicines, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- I still feel I have a lot more to do and achieve says, Jacqueline Fernandez
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij donates Rs 50 lakh to private games tournament organised by Dera Sacha Sauda, kicks up row
- Sidharth Malhotra felt wonderful doing the US tour! READ
- UP BJP to launch 'new voters registration programme'
- PM Modi hosts Rio medallists PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, national sports awardees