Ordinance controversy: Manmohan Singh meets Pranab
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday met President Pranab Mukherjee and is understood to have briefed him on the issue of controversial ordinance that is aimed at protecting convicted lawmakers.
Singh met Mukherjee a day after his return from the US, amid a controversy as Rahul Gandhi has trashed the ordinance cleared by the Cabinet.
Mukherjee had earlier not signed the measure as he had some reservations on it.
The Prime Minister`s meeting with the President came soon after Rahul Gandhi met Singh. The meeting between Gandhi and Singh was followed by a meeting of the Congress Core Group.
The Prime Minister also briefed Mukherjee on his visit to the US during which he held talks with President Barack Obama and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif, sources said.
Singh also wished the President well ahead of his visit to Belgium and Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj