Ordinance on convicted lawmakers: Congress must pack up and leave, says BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After an Ordinance to protect convicted MPs and MLAs from facing immediate disqualification was approved by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday, in effect negating an order of the Supreme Court, Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP) leader Shahnawaz Hussain targeted the Congress party and said that the Congress-led UPA Government must start packing & be prepared to leave.
“Congress must start packing& be prepared to leave, why bring new ordinances? We will form the next government,” Shahnawaz Hussain said.
He added, “Topi pehen ke topi pehnane waale neta doosre hain,Hum topi ko ibaadat ke liye samajte hain,siyasat ke liye nahi.”
Earlier, government today decided to bring the ordinance after failing to get a Bill to this effect passed in Parliament during the recent Monsoon Session, sources said.
The government decision to take the ordinance route came against the backdrop of a Congress MP Rashid Masood facing the prospect of disqualification as he was recently convicted in a case of corruption and other offences.
The Supreme court on July 10 had ruled that an MP or an MLA would stand disqualified immediately if convicted by a court for crimes with punishment of two years or more.
To negate the Supreme Court order, the government moved to amend the law and brought the Representation of the People (Second Amendment) Bill, 2013 in Rajya Sabha during the last session. However, the bill could not be passed.
Once the quantum of punishment is pronounced by a CBI court next month, Masood faces the prospects of losing his membership of Rajya Sabha as per the apex court order.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan