Ordinance on convicted lawmakers: Congress must pack up and leave, says BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After an Ordinance to protect convicted MPs and MLAs from facing immediate disqualification was approved by the Union Cabinet on Tuesday, in effect negating an order of the Supreme Court, Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP) leader Shahnawaz Hussain targeted the Congress party and said that the Congress-led UPA Government must start packing & be prepared to leave.
“Congress must start packing& be prepared to leave, why bring new ordinances? We will form the next government,” Shahnawaz Hussain said.
He added, “Topi pehen ke topi pehnane waale neta doosre hain,Hum topi ko ibaadat ke liye samajte hain,siyasat ke liye nahi.”
Earlier, government today decided to bring the ordinance after failing to get a Bill to this effect passed in Parliament during the recent Monsoon Session, sources said.
The government decision to take the ordinance route came against the backdrop of a Congress MP Rashid Masood facing the prospect of disqualification as he was recently convicted in a case of corruption and other offences.
The Supreme court on July 10 had ruled that an MP or an MLA would stand disqualified immediately if convicted by a court for crimes with punishment of two years or more.
To negate the Supreme Court order, the government moved to amend the law and brought the Representation of the People (Second Amendment) Bill, 2013 in Rajya Sabha during the last session. However, the bill could not be passed.
Once the quantum of punishment is pronounced by a CBI court next month, Masood faces the prospects of losing his membership of Rajya Sabha as per the apex court order.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says