Ordinance on convicted lawmakers: Sharad Pawar, Omar Abdullah seek meeting ahead of Cabinet decision
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Key allies of the Congress government have called for a meeting of the UPA coordination committee on Wednesday ahead of the crucial meet of the Union Cabinet, which is likely to take a decision on withdrawing the controversial ordinance on convicted lawmakers.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah have reportedly called for a coordination committee meeting to discuss issues related to the ordinance.
The meeting is scheduled to be held after the return of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh from US visit on late Tuesday.
The Prime Minister is expected to meet President Pranab Mukherjee before the Cabinet meeting tomorrow.
The Ordinance is currently before the President, who is said to have raised queries with three ministers he had called last week because of certain reservations. The President is leaving on a foreign tour on Wednesday afternoon.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi had denounced the ordinance calling it “complete ordinance” and that it should be “torn and thrown away”.
As the ordinance was the proposal of the Law Ministry, Law Minister Kapil Sibal may raise the issue in the Cabinet. He could bring a proposal to withdraw the earlier Cabinet recommendation to the President to promulgate the ordinance.
Sources also did not rule out the possibility of Cabinet awaiting the decision of the President on the ordinance.
After issues were raised against the ordinance, PM had assured of a cabinet meeting to deliberate on these issues after his return.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why