Ordinance reflects sense of urgency: Salman Khurshid
New Delhi: Union Minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday justified the government`s decision to issue an ordinance on sexual violence against women, saying views of the Justice Verma panel and the public in general were that something needed to be done with a "sense of urgency."
"All you can do is that when Parliament is not in session, we can promulgate an ordinance. It does not mean that widespread consultations cannot take place when the actual bill is brought in Parliament," the Minister said on the sidelines of a function here.
He asked the women`s organisations as well as all political parties to come together for widespread consultations with "all the sensitivity" on the issue.
"This (the ordinance) is in response to the sense of urgency that has been felt. I think we should recognise that demand for urgency. A lot of young people also wanted it," Khurshid said adding there is still "room" for a detailed discussion till the bill is passed in Parliament.
Reacting to a question on BJP`s decision to boycott Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for his Hindu terror remarks, Khurshid said the government would want BJP not to stay away from Parliament or prevent the House from functioning.
"Because their valuable contribution to governance of the country as the main opposition of the country is something that we don`t want to be deprived of," he said.
Khurshid said Shinde is very a serious and profound senior leader and one should respect senior leader`s view.
"You may disagree with them but it`s not fair to reduce everything to a confrontation," he said adding the country has to collectively fight terrorism of any kind.
"Terrorism is terrorism. We have to fight it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hafiz Saeed threatens to separate Mumbai from India
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw
- Subramaian Swamy targets GST Network again; will write to Amit Shah, BJP CMs
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: As it happened...
- Pak provokes India again, PM Nawaz Sharif to send MPs abroad to highlight Kashmir issue