Orissa Congress MP attacked in Delhi

In a sensational case, a former employee of Congress MP and former Orissa chief minister Hemananda Biswal made a murderous attempt on the MP at his residence in capital’s VVIP zone.

New Delhi: A senior Congress MP from Orissa Thursday claimed that he escaped a bid on his life after a
former aide allegedly attempted to open fire at him at his
residence here.

Hemanand Biswal, MP from Orissa`s reserved Sundargarh
Lok Sabha constituency, told police that his former aide
Prabhat Kumar Sharma tried to shoot him at his 7, Kamaraj Lane
residence at around 4 am.

Police said they were investigating the claims made by
the 71-year-old lawmaker, who is also a former Chief Minister
of Orissa.

"The MP had not been shot at. No bullet has been fired
at him. He did not suffer any injuries. He is safe," a senior
police official said.

Biswal claimed that Sharma was looking after
renovation of the building but was asked to leave some months
ago after bunglings were detected in the accounts related to
the work.

Sharma was looking after the renovation and the MP
claimed that he had submitted a written complaint in this
regard to authorities two months ago.

According to the MP, he was going to the washroom when
he saw Sharma opening one of his briefcases.

"He encountered him and asked him what was he doing
and caught him by his neck. I was taking him to another room
when I fell on a sofa. Then he pulled out a pistol and put it
on my head. I caught him by his hand," he told reporters.

Biswal claimed that Sharma then tried open fire at him
but the weapon malfunctioned.

"He pulled out another pistol but by the time, he
became scared that he will be caught. He fled from the house,"
he said.

The MP claimed that Sharma wanted to stay at his
residence but was asked by him to leave. "When my family came
here, they found him staying at the house and then police had
intervened," he said.

The police official said they had received a telephone
call from the MP regarding the alleged incident.

Biswal claimed that he called the Police Control Room
at 4:20 am and informed them about it.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link