Orthodox church head denies backing Modi`s candidature
Kottayam: Head of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Baselium Marthoma Paulose II on Monday denied reports that he had backed Narendra Modi`s candidature for the Prime Minister`s post during an interaction with local BJP leaders.
Making a clarification within hours after some of Malayalam TV channels flashed reports in this regard, the Catholicose said the church had "no political line" and he had not made any statement supporting Modi.
"The reports that I have supported Modi are not correct. The church does not have any particular political line. We do not support or oppose anybody....They asked me how we look at a scenario of Modi becoming the Prime Minister. I told them there is a general impression that Modi is not a leader of secular tolerance," he told a news channel.
The Catholicose said he was not personally familiar with Modi as he did not have an opportunity for that.
Media reports quoting local BJP leaders, who called on the Catholicos to extend him Christmas greetings, said he had told them that he supported Modi`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter