Orthodox church head denies backing Modi`s candidature
Kottayam: Head of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Baselium Marthoma Paulose II on Monday denied reports that he had backed Narendra Modi`s candidature for the Prime Minister`s post during an interaction with local BJP leaders.
Making a clarification within hours after some of Malayalam TV channels flashed reports in this regard, the Catholicose said the church had "no political line" and he had not made any statement supporting Modi.
"The reports that I have supported Modi are not correct. The church does not have any particular political line. We do not support or oppose anybody....They asked me how we look at a scenario of Modi becoming the Prime Minister. I told them there is a general impression that Modi is not a leader of secular tolerance," he told a news channel.
The Catholicose said he was not personally familiar with Modi as he did not have an opportunity for that.
Media reports quoting local BJP leaders, who called on the Catholicos to extend him Christmas greetings, said he had told them that he supported Modi`s candidature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India