Orthodox church head denies backing Modi`s candidature
Kottayam: Head of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Baselium Marthoma Paulose II on Monday denied reports that he had backed Narendra Modi`s candidature for the Prime Minister`s post during an interaction with local BJP leaders.
Making a clarification within hours after some of Malayalam TV channels flashed reports in this regard, the Catholicose said the church had "no political line" and he had not made any statement supporting Modi.
"The reports that I have supported Modi are not correct. The church does not have any particular political line. We do not support or oppose anybody....They asked me how we look at a scenario of Modi becoming the Prime Minister. I told them there is a general impression that Modi is not a leader of secular tolerance," he told a news channel.
The Catholicose said he was not personally familiar with Modi as he did not have an opportunity for that.
Media reports quoting local BJP leaders, who called on the Catholicos to extend him Christmas greetings, said he had told them that he supported Modi`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA