Orthodox church head denies backing Modi`s candidature
Kottayam: Head of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Baselium Marthoma Paulose II on Monday denied reports that he had backed Narendra Modi`s candidature for the Prime Minister`s post during an interaction with local BJP leaders.
Making a clarification within hours after some of Malayalam TV channels flashed reports in this regard, the Catholicose said the church had "no political line" and he had not made any statement supporting Modi.
"The reports that I have supported Modi are not correct. The church does not have any particular political line. We do not support or oppose anybody....They asked me how we look at a scenario of Modi becoming the Prime Minister. I told them there is a general impression that Modi is not a leader of secular tolerance," he told a news channel.
The Catholicose said he was not personally familiar with Modi as he did not have an opportunity for that.
Media reports quoting local BJP leaders, who called on the Catholicos to extend him Christmas greetings, said he had told them that he supported Modi`s candidature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her