Oscar Fernandes given charge of Labour and Employment ministry
New Delhi: Union Minister Oscar Fernandes was given the additional charge of Ministry of Labour and Employment tonight following the death of Sis Ram Ola.
A Rashtrapati Bhavan communique said the decision was taken on the advice of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Fernandes already holds the post of Road Transport and Highways Minister.
Earlier, President Pranab Mukherjee condoled the passing away of 86-year-old Congress leader from Rajasthan.
In his message to his wife Shiv Bai Ola, the President said he was deeply saddened to learn about the passing away of Ola who was a friend and colleague of long years.
He recalled the immense contribution made by Ola to the nation through long years of service as a senior Congress leader, Parliamentarian and Minister in the Union Government as well as state government of Rajasthan.
"The efforts he made for the welfare of the people of Rajasthan as well as the impetus he provided for the development of the state will always be remembered. Ola paid particular attention to the education of girls and protection of the environment.
"In his death, the nation has lost an eminent leader and social worker who was always in touch with the grassroots of society," he said.
Ola died in the wee hours this morning at a Gurgaon hospital after a prolonged illness.
The senior Congress leader is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter. Ola was awarded Padma Shri for social work in 1968.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state