Oscar takes charge of Road Transport and Highways Ministry
New Delhi: Oscar Fernandes on Tuesday took charge as Minister of Road Transport and Highways and said he will work towards getting speedy environment clearances for the projects which are stuck.
"We should get the clearances in advance so that the work can be started. Where ever the project has got stuck, we will take it up with the Ministry of Environment and Forests and try to clear it." Fernandes told reporters after assuming office.
Fernandes replaces C P Joshi, who relinquished his post earlier this week to concentrate on party work.
Joshi was holding dual portfolios of Road and Railways Ministries.
"I will take his (Joshi`s) guidance and the department is there to guide me," Fernandes said, adding he had keen interest in the sector since his childhood.
"I have personal interest in road construction since my childhood, it’s an area which is known to me, as a youth congress worker I have participated in road building programmes," he said.
Fernandes further added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has constituted a committee to expedite clearances for the road projects.
The mandate of the high-level committee is to facilitate clearance for projects of national importance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says