Ottavio Quattrocchi a `ghost` created by BJP: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday said Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi was a "ghost" created by the BJP and slammed the opposition for seeking to drag his name to "besmirch" the party and the Gandhi family.
Party leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi said Quattrocchi was a "ghost" created by BJP and that charges against him had been quashed during NDA rule.
"I don`t understand why Congress should react to the death of somebody who has been a ghost created by BJP. Somebody has died, his family deserves condolences," he told a news channel.
The Italian businessman, who was wanted in India in connection with the Bofors payoff scandal, died in Milan, Italy, today.
Singhvi said it was in 2004 during BJP-led rule that the Delhi High Court had quashed the charges against Quattrocchi and the government of the day had not filed any appeal against that ruling.
"...From 1998 to 2004, BJP tried to tom tom this thing during elections and lost this issue in at least three or four elections. They were unable to do anything to prove complicity in this crime," he said.
"But as far as besmirching of the political system is concerned...Of the Gandhi family, of Congress is concerned, this is very wrong," he added.
BJP leader Prakash Javadekar, however, dismissed Singhvi`s charges saying the ghost was created because Congress was "hosting" him.
"...The ghost was not created by BJP but by VP Singh and if we had created the ghost, it is because you were hosting it," he said reacting to Quattrocchi`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!